Thursday, October 18, 2018

Computer Lab Teachers are Unicorns

Did you realize that computer lab teachers are unicorns?

When the revelation hit me, I can't lie...it made me feel a little glittery. And by glittery I mean that special, pampered feeling you get when you make a treat yo' self purchase that you can't justify as practical.

Viewing myself as a confidently colorful, magical creature helped change my perspective on my classroom experience and I think that's worth examining.

Before you write me off as crazy for making such a bold, outrageous claim, examine the evidence with me.

1) They are rare.

Does every school have grade level teachers? Administrators? Custodial staff? Of course!
Tech teachers? Not always.
There are many students out there who are not benefiting from your lessons on what to do if they're cyber-bullied (or not to be a bully themselves). There are also many students out there who will have to wait until they are older to realize they have a passion for coding and that they want to pursue that passion.
Remember that your school is benefiting from (semi)unique enrichment just by having you on staff.

2) They are magical.

That pop up that won't go away? An important folder disappeared? Who better than the computer lab teacher to magically solve problems that baffle the otherwise educated school professionals. Your unique skill set basically sorts you into the Hogwarts house of your choice (I'm Ravenclaw apparently).
And don't get me wrong, the students think you're magical too. You have toys. Computers, iPads, robots - toys. Magical toys that get them away from their usual daily routine. However, getting them to stop viewing your class time as bonus recess is an issue all its own.


3) They are lone creatures.

Flock? Herd? Pack? Litter? Tribe? Nope - unicorns are solitary creatures. We computer teachers don't often have other professionals (*cough*other adults*cough*) to talk to about lesson plans, seating charts, management issues, etc. And I won't lie...it's lonely. Other teachers often only approach us when they have a problem with something or a special request that will cost us time/energy. Do they mean to do this to us? Most probably don't, but the reality is there.

4) Spotting one in the wild is worth getting excited about.

By far my FAVORITE unicorn feature is how thrilled students are to see you outside your lab. Walking through the halls, every student knows you. Many are your best friend.

This is true out in public as well. Teachers are afraid to go to malls/restaurants/etc. without running into their 30 kids? That's cute. Try 400+ possible encounters!


My personal takeaway from thinking of myself as a unicorn? OWN IT! It's okay to acknowledge the challenges of the job, but there are great benefits too. You are beloved and magical and unique.


Can you relate? 


Llama love,
Sam



No comments:

Post a Comment